Saturday, October 6, 2007

Family Heirlooms

When my husbands grandfather died, each grandson was given an item of jewelry that the grandfather had owned. The eldest grandson got a gold and diamond watch. The middle son received his gold and diamond cufflinks and my husband was given a beautiful emerald and diamond ring. I don't know what the other brothers have done with their treasure--but I was surprised that my husband put the ring away. I figured it was handsome enough for him to wear-but he chose not to. I finally got around to asking him about it a few days ago--and it was nice to hear that since it was a gift passed on from a loving grandfather--he would like to have it to pass on to his sons and grandsons when they are older. He really wants to make it into a family heirloom, and I thought that was really sweet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How thoughtful your husband is. I think his idea on passing it to the next generation would be great. It's a good way of keeping the spirit of the family alive. Hope your family can maintain the passing of the heirloom

Anonymous said...

Awwe, that's nice. I have an old brooch from my grandmother, and it means a lot to me. I'm sure your sons will feel the same.